Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bread and Water for Me, Please!

Let's say your spouse wants to surprise you with a special dinner out at the fanciest restaurant you've ever been to. Can you imagine what the response would be when the waiter came by to take your order if you said, "I'll have a glass of water and some bread." I'm sure the waiter would be dumbfounded and your spouse would be incredibly embarrassed.

But today, I want to order Bread and Water, please!

In John 4, Jesus is resting when a Samaritan woman stopped by to fill her jugs at the well. Jesus, being thirsty but having no utensils, asks her for a drink. She is shocked that He would even speak to her since He is a Jew and she is a Samaritan--people who were despised by the Jews--and she likewise, questions him about his request. After a few exchanges, Jesus says: "...whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." (v8)

That's the Water I want. And, as a Christ-follower, that is exactly the Water that is promised to me. I have a well of water springing up in my soul that provides me with eternal life. A Water that quenches my every thirst if I will but drink of it when I'm thirsty--when I'm tired, stressed, overwhelmed, and unsure. Christ is my Well of Life!

In John 6, some people have gathered around Jesus and are talking about how God provided their forefathers with manna from Heaven. Jesus doesn't miss a beat with them. He says, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger...everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life." (v. 35, 40)

Bread that gives eternal life! Bread that fills my spiritual hunger! Now that has to be the best bread recipe ever created! No more sour dough for me!

Please pass the Bread and Water!

1 comment:

  1. Me too!
    Let's not hunger and thirst after other, less wonderful things...no matter how great they may Sound.

    ReplyDelete