Saturday, February 28, 2009

The old woman....

I overheard a man talking at Grant's hockey game the other night about his "old woman."

"There was an old woman who lived in a shoe, she had so many children she didn't know what to do..." (I can relate to this old gal!)

In the Bible, Titus 2:3-5 talks about the older women and the younger women: "Guide older women into lives of reverence so they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. By looking at them, the younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, be virtuous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. We don't want anyone looking down on God's Message because of their behavior."

And it hit me....I AM THE OLDER WOMAN!!! (I'm not sure when this happened or even how, but it is true!) I have to wonder....am I living a life of reverence not gossiping (or being drunk)? Am I a model of goodness? Even more importantly, am I being an example to the younger women on how to love their husbands and children? Can the younger women learn to be virtuous and pure from me? Can they see how to keep a good house and be a good wife?

That is a tough act to follow. But it is exactly what the Bible tells us old women that we are to be aware of. I definitely don't want anyone looking down on God's Message because of my poor behavior.

"Father God, your love and goodness and purity are so awesome; help me to be a witness to Your character. Show me how to love my husband and children the way You love them. May my house be kept in such a way as to reflect you. Daily remind me of the responsibility I have to the younger women around me. I ask all this in Your Holy name. Amen."

1 comment:

  1. You're not old yet - you're right in the middle. And did I just read right that Elaine is 10?! How did that happen? She was a precious little girl my Launa's age when I met her! Holy smokes!

    (Did I just say "My Launa"? That makes me sound old!)

    ReplyDelete