Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm not Catholic and I don't play one on TV

Yes, I'm Protestant--and a pretty contemporary one at that. I attend an awesome church (Metro Community Church) and I love our worship there! But I have learned something from my Catholic friends. Their appreciation for liturgy and their use of ritual, although sometimes dragging and possibly legalistic, can be a wonderful tool to draw one closer to God.

All my life it has seemed that as Protestant Christians, we wait until the day of or possibly the week before Easter to focus on Christ and His Resurrection. Sometimes it has seemed to me that we have gotten so wrapped up in other festivities that we have forgotten to really think about, reflect on, and thank God for His Marvelous Plan of salvation. We talk about it all year long; we know it is the foundation of our faith; yet during this season, it seems we so often don't really take time out for the significance of Easter.

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. I did not go to confession nor did I wear ashes on my forehead. I don't need to! I'm a born-again Christ-follower! He is my priest! However, I AM observing the Lenten season--the 40 days plus Sundays that lead up to Easter Sunday. I want to encourage all my Christian friends to consider doing this as well. I'm not suggesting that you give up chocolate or sweets or soda or anything like that.

For the next 40+ days, take time each day to read Scripture that focuses on Christ, read through the Gospel of John maybe, or focus on becoming more humble and Christ-like. Take the time you spend now in reflection and prayer, then up it a bit. Do something this season to increase your time with God. (I found a good resource with daily Scripture readings for Lent; you can find it here: http://www.crivoice.org/lent1.html.)

No comments:

Post a Comment