Sunday, February 15, 2009

Marriage Retreats...I HATE 'EM...I LOVE 'EM!

I hate doing things that seem cliche'. (Like holding hands while walking along the beach...or going to marriage retreats with 100 other couples....I always resist. I don't know why.) I hate being asked to step out of my comfort zone. I hate learning about something only to realize that I haven't been doing it correctly. And I hate having to admit it. I hate banquet food. I hate getting up early. Those are the reasons I hate (well not really hate, but dislike, anyway) marriage retreats.

BUT, I love my husband and HE loves going to retreats. I love having the time alone with him without interruptions. I love sitting in our hotel room chatting about our life together. I love making plans for the upcoming year together. I love discussing the session we just listened to and then going over what we've done right and what we need to improve on. I love laying in bed staying up late talking about our love for one another. I LOVE being married to Mark!!! And those are the reasons I love marriage retreats!

Ephesians 5:25 says, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." I melt inside when I think about how much Mark loves me. God in His Grace paired me up with this wonderful man who I in no way deserved. It is amazing to me to think that 18 years ago, God--in His infinite wisdom--KNEW that I needed Mark in my life.
It is through Mark's faithfulness that I am drawn closer to God. It is through his tenderness that I see God. It is through his forgiveness that I experience God.

And I shudder to think where my life would have turned had I not met and married Mark. When we first met, on Feb. 2, 1991, my "dating pre-requisite" list (yes, I've always been a list maker) was simple; I wanted a man who was smart, had a good job, was close to his family, was Protestant, and didn't use tobacco of any kind. If I had a date who failed to meet all of those criteria, I didn't go out with him again. That was that. As goodas my list was, I certainly wasn't looking for a God-fearing, Christ-following man. But God had different better plans for my life...and I'm so glad he did. Not only did Mark meet all MY criteria, God knew that Mark would draw me closer to Him. I praise him for that!

And on that note, I'm going to go love on my husband a bit..........

1 comment:

  1. If Mark enjoys marriage retreats, consider taking him to one of the Intimacy Retreats I facilitate with my husband! They're smaller, totally safe and comfortable and romantic - and we send you back to your rooms for very intimate "home-play" assignments.

    Although it's not specifically a Christian retreat, it's definitely a marriage "treat!"

    Please visit my website for where and when.
    ~ Diana Daffner
    www.IntimacyRetreats.com

    ReplyDelete