Monday, March 16, 2009

My little big girl. Can she really be 15?

My life changed dramatically on March 15, 1994. That is the day Elisabeth was born. I had read all the books that everyone was reading at that time and thought I was completely ready for this new life to enter our family. We headed to the hospital that morning; it was Mark's 30th birthday. And just under 9 hours later, our baby girl was born. It was 6:53 in the evening. She was so tiny...5 lbs 15 oz and only 18 inches long. She had the tiniest round head that was covered with thick black hair. She was precious and perfect!

I wanted her with me the entire time. I didn't want the nurses to take her to the nursery. And called for her if they kept her too long. I woke in the middle of the night and walked down to check on her. There she was...the nurses had tied a little pink bow in her hair. MY baby!

She has always been a tiny girl. Always on the serious side. And always gentle. Sometimes she is hard to read. Sometimes, even as a little girl, she hides her emotions. But she is a WONDERFUL daughter. She has brought me such joy.
Yesterday, since Mark has gone to Mexico, I surprised her with a party with some of her friends. She would never have invited the kids over herself...so I'm glad I did it. They all came over after church, ate pizza, played football in the back yard, and then had cake and ice cream in the living room. Just hanging out. The kids all headed home and she headed to Fusion (youth group). But last night, as I sat on her bed before tucking her in, I soaked up her chattering about the day's events. Talking about her friends and how great they all are. Chatting about why some kids don't see "right from wrong." Discussing how our actions (what we do, where we go, what we read) really do show our beliefs and attitudes--and who we are inside. I finally had to cut her off as midnight was drawing close. I think she would have talked all night--and the caffeine she had drunk earlier was partly to blame.

I am so blessed to call her my daughter. What a wonderful girl. Right after she was born, I realized that instead of "knowing it all," I knew very little. In fact, most days I feel inadequate to be a mom. Yet by God's grace, He has used me--inspite of my inadequacies--to raise this beautiful, wonderful, smart young woman.

Thank you, God, for the gift of Elisabeth!

2 comments:

  1. How precious! Happy birthday (belated) sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a lot of school on my plate this week, so I haven't made the blog rounds. Sorry I'm late. Happy birthday Elisabeth! (She was born the year that I moved to St. Louis with my family, this really illustrates how long we've been in the Midwest!)

    ReplyDelete