Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cleaning the Temple

John 2:13-22 tells the story of Jesus going to the temple for Passover; when He arrived He found "those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and money changers seated at their tables." He was angry! This was His Father's house and they were making it a place of business--a place for them to prosper--not a place of honoring and worshipping God. Verse 15 says Jesus made a "scourge of cords" (a whip) and drove them all out, then he poured out their money and overturned their tables. He cleansed the temple that day!

My thoughts as I read this passage yesterday were wondering what Jesus sees when He looks at the temple of my heart. After all, if we are Christ-followers, our bodies are His temple. When He looks at me, have I allowed the money changers to come in and take over my life? Is my heart--my desires--filled with only those things that seek my own prosperity?

And when I do allow those things to take over my heart, does it make Him as angry as He was at the Jewish money changers? Does it make Him want to whip me and overthrow my tables? Of course, the New Testament says the Lord disciplines those He loves. So, if He does, isn't it only because of His Great Love for me?

"Father God, you are the most perfect parent. You love me even when I am unlovable. You love me even when I allow the "moneychangers to set up shop" in my heart. Forgive me for failing. Thank you for loving me enough to discipline me. Thank you for running out the moneychangers and the animals. Thank you for cleansing my temple. In your most holy name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment