Monday, October 26, 2009

God's glory displayed

First, has it really been almost 6 weeks since my last post? Time has been flying by. School is keeping me so busy through the week and every weekend has been filled with much activity. I had to put on my soccer mom/football mom hat for those weeks, but now it is time to hang those hats back up. And now, I am hoping for a few weeks of calm and enjoyment before we burst into the holiday season. ;-)

But the real motivation for this post (now that my excuses have been stated).....

A few weeks ago, we were asked the question in Bible study, "What is your favorite season?" I don't have one. I LOVE them all. Living in the Midwest is such a blessing. About the time you get used to a season, it's time for a change. We have four distinct seasons here in Illinois...and the next one arrives in quite a contrast to the one before it. I really do love each season. But right now, at this time, I am thoroughly enjoying AUTUMN.

Last week on Wednesday, the kids and I went out for several hours and took pictures amongst the fall colors--beautiful red bushes, yellow trees, and green evergreens. It was a gorgeous day. (I was able to get some great shots and will hopefully get them posted soon.) Then on Friday, I had the opporutnity to drive up to Elsah and enjoy the colors of fall along the Mississippi. It was breathtaking and even the kids noticed the beauty of the trees.

However as beautiful as those scenes were, one surpasses them in my mind's eye. Is there anything more glorious than a sunrise on a fall morning? This morning as I was making the bed, I peered out the bedroom window to see the sun rising over the tops of the trees in the woods behind our house. The pinks and blues of the new-morning sky accented the oranges, yellows, reds, greens and browns of the trees. It was beautiful...no, it was magnificent.

My reason for loving AUTUMN is that it is such a visible reminder that God is creative and loves beauty. We were created by a God who doesn't live in a black and white world. Instead He created all the beautiful colors that we get to enjoy. His plan for the plants included this changing of the colors. Was this necessary? No. I'm sure the plants could have "gone to sleep" for the winter without their farewell display. But God in His wisdom made them to stop their production of chlorophyl which in turn causes the leaves to lose their greenness and results in the awesome variety of colors that we get to experience. Why??

I believe there are two reasons. The first is for Himself---for His glory and His enjoyment. Colossians 1:16 says, "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible...all things were created by him and for him." To sum up that verse, He created everything and He created it for Himself...for him to enjoy and for it to glorify Him. The second reason is for US! He loves us. He gives us gifts we don't deserve because of His love for us. Nature is one of His gifts to us.

Be encouraged! As you look at the colors of nature this fall, let it be a reminder that God loves you. He wants you to enjoy His creation. It is His gift to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment